Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Zen of Plein Air Painting


NFS 8x10 Oil on Birch Panel
A bunch of us were at S. Cooking Lake this morning before we head off in different directions for holidays. We had 1 1/2 hr. to get something down so there was excitement in the air. It was a hot morning day so I'd underpainted my panel with hot pink which I find helps as I don't have the white glare to start with. Everything was going swimmingly and although I didn't finish, I felt happy that I could finish it up pretty quickly at home. When we got back to the cars one of the girls asked if she could see mine so I opened my box and the painting fell jam side down onto the leftover piles of paint. I think by that time I was so dazed by the heat and concerned about picking up kids, I couldn't really react. I must have stood there looking like a guppy. I'm sure there is something to be found in this .. perhaps detachment, or funny memories. Well it will be funny a few days from now!
I'm taking my paint box to B.C. so hopefully I'll have some beaches painted when I get back.

2 comments:

Kim VanDerHoek said...

I was wondering what those spots of color were. What a shame it fell into your paint, it had such a nice feel to it too. Ah, the hazards of plein air.....

Laurel Daniel said...

Oh I hate it when that happens!!!!!! Great job fixing it!